Thursday, July 3, 2008

A Quick rundown of what happened...

Ok, so I'm a week behind. Hopefully I can quickly catch you up to where we are now. But so much has happened!
The ride to Indian Lake was beautiful. Started out with a beautiful sky and passed great views of Lake George. Then there were some uphills. And that beautiful blue sky, didn't seem so beautiful anymore. Because uphill means not much wind, and blue skies mean lots of sun, and together, they mean really hot! So some of those hills on the open road, where a bit hot, but then we got to leave them for a road that followed a nice shady creek. That part of the ride was absolutely gorgeous! We ate lunch on the Hudson River, where I stayed to long looking at the fish and trying to get the perfect picture of a funny looking spider on a rock. I did not get the perfect picture, but at least the spider didn't jump on me, because it was a jumping spider.
Staying at lunch might have been a bad idea... depending on your opinion of what makes for good riding weather. Shortly after lunch, it started pouring. While riding in the rain, isn't ideal, I liked it. It mean that the giant climbs in the afternoon weren't in the brutal heat, but rather in the cold, wet rain. I prefer the rain (not everyone agrees). Of course, with the rain, came the horseflies, they were not as welcomed. And frankly, they kind of hurt. I said some kind of mean things to them, but what would you do in that situation?
Getting to Indian Lake was a little more difficult than expected. After 20 miles on Route 28, we had no trouble finding our first left turn. The next turn was a little more difficult. The cue sheet said left. So, we chalked an arrow and went left. About a mile down the road, Christopher is coming at us driving the van and signals us to turn around, so we turn around and go back to the intersection, where we should have turned right. So you would think, after we crossed out the first arrow and drew a new one, everything would be all right. It was... except for one little detail. Erik, Craig, Joy and I had gone down the road. Erik, Kate, Joy, and I came back up the road. Where was Craig? Erik went on a hunt. Then, to escape the biting horseflies, I decided to check the roads going off the one we were on. I came across one road, but it went up a hill. It was the end of the day, who would choose to ride up a hill? I ruled it out as a place to find Craig and continued down the road. After about a mile, I hadn't found Craig... or Erik. I decided the road was a vortex and returned to the infamous intersection. Craig and Erik returned shortly after me. I was wrong, Craig had gone up the hill... crazy boy!
From there we went to the campsite. Where we fought the horseflies and mosquitoes in a desperate attempt to erect the tents. We had four of them up when it began to pour again. A logical time to take a break and get a snack. While we hid under our tarp, Dan returned from town bearing news of great joy, or at least a dry place to sleep. Two churches had graciously agreed to house us, and all of our sick for the night. The girls slept in the Baptist Church and the boys slept in the Methodist Church. It was quite a blessing to be out of the rain and away from the hungry mouths of flies and mosquitoes.
From Indian Lake we set out to Boonville, one of the few days that it didn't rain. In Boonville we did laundry, which was a long, expensive ordeal. I can tell you this, because I am laundry crew this week. And since I've got you almost caught up to where we are, I'll leave you thinking about laundry, since that's what I'm about to go do.
Visualize: two, giant blue tarps spread out on the basement floor. On one lies our everyday clothes: socks, t-shirts, shorts, nothing to exciting. But on the other tarp is where things get scary... chamois, lots and lots of dirty, smelly, sweaty chamois... and our jerseys. Just think about that. If I get another chance to write, I'll tell you how tonight goes.

No comments: